Monday, December 19, 2011

Using Nabi Tablet with kids of all ability levels

It's one thing to have a tablet that is fun and games and entertains kids (I imagine any android tablet or the iPad or even leappad/innotab) fall into that catergory... but what makes the Nabi so much more amazing is that it can be customized to your kids age, interests, needs etc... It has been pre-installed with educationally approved, parent approved, research based, award winning apps and programs (and there's angry birds for fun!) and there is so much content pre-installed I think it would take kids quite a long time to get bored and need to start adding new stuff. There are educational videos pre-installed (my 6 yr old is going to go nuts for the one that involves Disney Princess castle since it will be a long time if ever before we can afford the real trip there!). There's a wealth of materials pre-installed and this tablet could have been sold for double what it cost. Nabi as a company clearly is in this for the right reasons and you can tell the time and energy that went into creating a parent and kid friendly tablet. A company with integrity that isn't trying to force kids to grow up too fast and is focussed on educational entertainment is a company I for one plan to keep a close eye on!
As a teacher and a mom this is a tablet I can stand behind for a number of reasons. I've been a teacher for a long time and one of the go to phrases that I really believe should dictate good teaching is this: "what's good for one is good for all". I started teaching as a middle school social studies teacher and moved into special ed after my kids were born. What I have found in special ed is that the practices for kids in need are often practices that would benefit whole group instruction... Where I am going with this is that Nabi seems to espouse that same sort of philosophy with the user interface and ability to customize the Nabi for all kids.
The Nabi is something that kids of all age, ability, interest etc... levels can access. It has large icons so that kids with vision issues can access it. It is kid safe so that there's no danger of kids wandering on to sites that are dangerous. Even if your child is 9 but performing at a lower level with reading and math, your child can still have the Nabi set to their age group but they can access younger level educational apps without embarassment...
I have never before endorsed a product and my standards for what I allow my children to play with, use for learning etc... are pretty high (and they dislike me for that at times!). I love absolutely EVERYTHING about the Nabi both as a mom and an educator!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you make the nabi 2 read out loud? I can't find anything in the settings. Please let me know.

    ReplyDelete